Skip to main content

Rona Journal Week 2

4/13
Yesterday was Easter! My family usually celebrates Easter by going to church, doing an egg hunt, and then eating ham for dinner. This Easter was obviously different, but we still kept tradition as similar as we could. Our church did a stream so we watched that. My family isn’t really religious but we go to church on holidays. My mom knows more church things than me and my brother, so it was really awkward during the responses when we mumbled it or responded a second later. Next up we did an Easter egg hunt. The day before we dyed eggs. My mom broke some eggs while trying to hard boil them, so I only ended up dying three. The Easter hunt was the same as every year before: my brother and I hunted while my parents hid the eggs (I lost), then we hid them while they found the eggs. However, at the end of the Easter egg hunt we didn’t get a basket of jellybeans and a chocolate bunny, so that was sad. The rest of the day we called various family members and relaxed. For dinner we had ham (like normal) but my dad also made these fire scalloped potatoes. After that we did the whole movie voting system and ended up watching Almost Famous, which was a really good movie by the way. All in all it was a pretty normal Easter because on Easter my family doesn’t really go outside the house much anyway, but I still had fun.

4/15 
Recently my dad's side of the family has been doing big group zooms. We have been part of two so far but we plan to do one each week. The best one was on Easter. This one was scheduled by my aunt so it was a huge zoom. There was 14 different devices on: my aunt and uncle, my cousin, my other cousin, my dad's cousin, my second cousin, my other second cousin, my other aunt, my mom and dad, my brother and I, my dads other cousin and his two kids, my grandma and step-grandpa, my great aunt, someone named Linda (maybe my uncle's sister), and I think my uncle’s mom and brother. That was a crazy hour. My grandma had a really hard time unmuting herself, we had to counsel her through it for 15 minutes. Then my dad kept bringing random stuff into the frame. I really don’t know why he did that but he brought in stuff from our fridge: beer, frozen pizza, Easter eggs, ham. After that everyone got super into changing the backgrounds. One of the best backgrounds was when my dad's cousin changed it to a picture of his dad looking really goofy. Another highlight was when my parents did a stupid Chicago meme as their background (not funny at all) but the wall behind them was white and they blended in with it.
My brother and I chose to do the picture of Carole Baskin holding her husband on a leash as our background. After that my grandma accidentally shared her screen and she couldn’t stop it, so she just left the zoom. Then my second cousin, who is eight, decided it would be hilarious if he changed his name to “.” and screen share to draw on the screen. Everyone started freaking out about someone “zoom bombing”, even though it was obviously my second cousin. Everyone then started yelling at my aunt, who was the host, to kick him out but she didn’t know how to do it. After five minutes of chaos he just stopped screen sharing. Everyone was tired of zoom by then so we parted our ways. 

4/16
I feel like every week I have a new addiction: this week it is puzzles. I have always loved puzzles. I have always loved puzzles but now I have an excuse to actually do them, so that’s really fun. My mom also loves puzzles, so we have at least 30 in our house already. Since we are in quarantine, however, my mom has bought so many new puzzles. My mom loves Nancy Drew so she bought two 1000 piece Nancy Drew puzzles. I recently got into the TV show Nancy Drew that airs on the CW. I will bet anyone 20 dollars that when it hits Netflix it will become really popular. Anyway, Monday night and Tuesday morning I did a 1000 piece Nancy drew puzzle while watching the TV show. Up until a week ago, I used to do puzzles with my mom but we have very different ways of doing it, so we decided it’s best to do puzzles separately, so when my mom is done with the other Nancy Drew puzzle I will get to do it. Yesterday afternoon we got a set of two 80 piece Bob Ross puzzles.
In the past 12 hours I have completed them both: one during dinner and one during my Latin zoom. So lately that's been what I’ve been doing this week, but next week we will see what the newest addiction is (my guess is painting). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Infestation of Misogynist Lyrics in Rap Music

I love rap music. However, whenever I'm playing music with my mom I can't play rap. By my mom not being used to typical rap lyrics, she is shocked by the misogyny and demands me to stop playing the song at once. My typical response to this is just a small shrug accompanied by a laugh because, like all rap fans, I am accustomed to it. Many rap fans will say that the rappers misogynist lyrics aren't why the songs are popular. However, if you carefully listen to the lyrics of the most popular rap songs every verse  there will most likely  be at least one time a woman is called a derogatory name. Take one of my personal favorites, Kanye.  I love him for his amazing producing, making unique beats, and the creative sampling he scatters through his songs. However, the song I Love It  does not have any good rap verses, does not have a unique producing, or, to me, any redeemable qualities . This song is basically one lyric repeated over and over to show Kanye and Lil Pum

The Permanent Classes Constructed by Naming Races

The result of the naming of two distinct racial groups is forcibly segregating people into permanent classes. As Ta-Nehisi Coates writes on page 7 of his book,  Between the World and Me,  “race is the son of racism”. By saying this Coates is conveying racism came before the concept of race, meaning that society felt the need to segregate people and make social classes. To do this they came up with race as an excuse to justify separating groups of people and calling these groups upper and lower classes.  While the people assigned, by society, the lower class, black people, struggle to overcome their designated obstacles, the people assigned to the upper class, white people, choose to ignore this injustice, resulting in the lower class being demolished by these obstacles. The society I refer to is  made up of the privileged group, which Coates talks about as “the people who believe themselves to be white,” (7). “Believe” is when someone thinks something is true. Coates saying this word

Hierarchy is America

From the beginning of time the creatures that have inhabited our planet have had a hierarchical society: T. Rexes ruled the dinosaurs, monarchs ruled over Europe, the Pope rules over the Catholic Church, kings rule over a deck of cards, the human body itself is even a hierarchy with organs, such as the brain and heart, ruling over cells. Nowadays most people see this system as unfair and try to put an end to this prejudiced way of social structure. However, in America hierarchy prevails. Many Americans choose to overlook the hierarchical tendencies of our society, however this theme emerges in classic American literature. The book The Great Gatsby has been referred to over and over again as "the great American novel." One of the major themes in the book is the hierarchy of social classes. In the story, Tom and Daisy descend from rich and powerful families while Jay Gatsby came from a poor family, so he became rich by himself. Tom and Daisy are married, but Daisy is having a